Carlos Espín Arias
Carlos has extensive experience in litigation, intellectual property, corporate law, human rights and utility models registration. Carlos constantly address seminars and conferences in Ecuador as well as several countries, mainly in international litigation, focusing in human rights area. Carlos has participated in over 100 litigious procedures, in which he successfully has represented his clients before international bodies.
- Representing a Latin-American country in a commercial arbitration brought by a former concessionaire in the oil sector (UNCITRAL).
- Representing a Latin-American country in a negotiation with a transnational company regarding corruption allegations.
- Representing a Latin-American State and a State Owned Company in two commercial cases brought by two power-generation companies (ICC).
- Representing the Republic of Ecuador in the investment arbitration brought by Occidental Petroleum Corporation and Occidental Exploration and Production Company (ICSID).
- Representing the Republic of Ecuador in the investment arbitration brought by Murphy Exploration and Production Company International (ICSID).
- Representing the Republic of Ecuador in the investment arbitration brought by Burlington Resources, Inc. and others (ICSID).
- Representing the Republic of Ecuador in the investment arbitration brought by Perenco Ecuador Limited (ICSID).
- Representing the Republic of Ecuador in two cases before the Court of Justice of the Andean Community related to commercial measures.
- Representing the Republic of Ecuador in the negotiation of two international financial agreements.
- Ph.D. (C) Castilla la Mancha University – Spain.
- Master candidate in Administrative Law and Public Administration. Universidad de Buenos Aires.
- Master in Human Rights protection. University of Alcalá, Spain.
- Master in Administrative Law. San Francisco de Quito University, Ecuador.
- Master in Procedural Law. National University of Rosario, Argentina.
- Diploma on International Law on Human Rights and International Humanitarian Law. American University, United States.
- Diploma in Intellectual Property, Austral University, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- Lawyer. Catholic University of Ecuador.
- Judicial Independence and the Standards of International Human Rights Law, Publication of Constitutional and Guarantee Procedural Law: Guarantee and Freedom Process, Remington University Corporation, Medellín, Colombia, 2014.
- The inter-American process from a guarantee approach, reports International Congress of Procedural Law, “process, guarantee and freedom, 2012.
- Due Process and Human Rights, Legal Review Zum al Derecho Procesal, 2011.
- Pan-American Institute of Procedural Law. Member of editing staff of Revista Latinoamericana de Derecho Procesal (Argentina).